Tuesday 15 November 2016

Pre-Production Work

Initial Names


I had already decided that my magazines was going to be called ‘Wooden', before I started with the planning. This is because it fits with the music that I want to write about, and it goes well with the organic, green/ gold look that I am going for in the magazine.

I think of wood as the origin of all music, because most instruments started of being made of wood, and today, wood is the most used as a material for instruments in most genres. Most indie artists started out by playing guitar or piano, both of which are made of wood.


The word also has a classic feeling over it, from the tradition behind it (how it has always been a material in musical instruments) to how we still use it in today’s design. It is often used when designing speakers and headphones, because it has an aesthetic feeling of it that takes you right back to the beginning of music.

With the name already decided, I spent more time finding the right font, and I ended up using an already made font, re-work it, and add a wooden pattern to the letters. This worked well with the name ‘Wooden.’ I tried several different fonts, and first I decided that I wanted a bold, sans serif font, that was easy to read, and had thick enough lines to fit a pattern in-between them. I used "DaFonts.com", and tried on fonts such as ‘Monster AG’ and ‘Watchmen.’ They worked well, but most people would already associate them with something else, so I could not use them. I landed on a font called ‘Couture’.


I tried different styles-
and different thickness to the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment